Module 5 Active Healthy Mother
Benefits of Activity
Okay, so what are the benefits of physical activity for women?
- Increase physical fitness
- Decreased risk of developing heart disease, stroke, cancer and type 2 diabetes
- Prevention/treatment mild-moderate depression and anxiety
- Lower cholesterol and blood pressure
- Weight management
- Prevention of osteoporosis and falls
- Having fun/ socializing / meeting people
- “Me” time – to do something for yourself
- Prevent and manage low back pain and osteoarthritis
- Improved sleep
- Improved mood
- Reduced stress
- Sharpen your mind
If you completed the barriers questionnaire above, or know that you are not active enough, the next question may be: How much exercise should I be doing on a weekly basis?
The Australian National Physical Activity Guidelines (2019) advise the following;
- 150 minutes of vigorous or 300 minutes of moderate intensity exercise per week
- Muscle strengthening exercises 2 days per week
- Reduce sedentary behaviour
How do I apply this to myself?
Be active in some way preferably all or most days of the week.
What is moderate exercise?
- Breathing quickens but you are not short of breath,
- Light sweat after 10 minutes
- You can still talk whilst exercising
- Example: Brisk walk, swim
What is vigorous exercise?
- Challenging, quick breathing, puffing
- Sweat after a few minutes
- Can’t talk at the same time as exercising
- Running, aerobics, netball, tennis, dancing